Counter-Strike has been in the limelight since 1999 when it’s first edition was rolled out. And right from day 1 it captured the imagination of avid gamers big time and there was no looking back since then. As time passed, Counter-Strike inculcated more changes in its newer editions to make sure the game was realistic as well as giving a run for their money to it’s peers.
Counter-Strike has been experiencing the typical lag problem when users try to play it on Windows 10 computer systems. Let’s take a look at what tricks we’ve got for you to do away with this issue and get back to a normal game experience.
Add Frames Per Second (FPS) Limit
The entire configuration settings related to Counter-Strike ar stored in a file known as UserConfig.cfg. Modifying this file will go a long way in resolving the lag issue.
- Open This PC from the desktop.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Your_Stream_ID \Counter-Strike\CStrike
- Right-click UserConfig.cfg, choose Open with | Notepad.
- Scroll to the end of the file and add the following text:
fps_max 101 rate 25000 cl_updaterate 101 cl_cmdrate 101
- Save the changes and exit.
Set Low Priority for Half Life Process
One of the processes you will notice in the Task Manager related to Counter-Strike will be hl.exe. At times, it starts eating up huge chunks of the RAM and consequently affects gameplay as well as other computing operations (in the background). You should either terminate this process altogether or allow it to only use lower amounts of CPU resources.
- Type Task Manager in the Search Box.
- Open it from the Search Results.
- Click More Details.
- Now click the Details tab.
- Right-click hl.exe.
- Select Low in front of the Set Priority option.
Remove Sound App
- Click start.
- Navigate to Settings | System | Apps & Features.
- Click the sound app and then select Uninstall.
- Follow the instructions during the removal wizard to complete the uninstallation process.
Prevent Background Services from Consuming the RAM
Any background service that is taking up huge amounts of RAM will definitely have a negative impact on the gameplay. Freeing up RAM can alleviate this issue. Using Game Boost feature of RegInOut System Utilities has helped many people play game without lag.
- Press Windows Key + R.
- Type services.msc and then click OK.
- You will get a list that contains all (active and inactive) services.
- Click on the Status heading to sort all services accordingly.
- Once they’ve been rearranged, you can easily right-click any active service and select the Stop option from the context menu.
Disable Steam Community In-Game Feature
Steam offers a community in-game feature for it’s users. This can however cause lags as well for most users who aren’t using a very high end computer system. Therefore disabling this feature will surely help in mitigating the lagging issue.
- Launch Steam.
- Navigate to games library.
- Right-click Counter Strike : Global Perspective.
- Choose Properties.
- A new dialog box will appear on the screen.
- Uncheck Enable Steam Community In-Game option.
- Click on CLOSE.
Disable Sound Blaster
If you use the equalizer and surround features of Sound Blaster, then you will have to learn to live without them as this app consistently conflicts with Counter-Strike and must be stopped in order to let the game run properly.